frugallivingforums

Cooking oil

nangk08

I prefer to use cold-pressed oil which has only been filtered and generally dislike using refined oil. Refined oils are supposedly heated at high temperatures and some chemicals are added to the process to 'purify' them and then vitamins such as A, D, E etc. added to them. So I prefer not to use them though they are slightly cheaper than cold-pressed, filter oils. Which kind do you prefer to use?

Mildredtabitha

I prefer to use cold-pressed oil which has only been filtered and generally dislike using refined oil. Refined oils are supposedly heated at high temperatures and some chemicals are added to the process to 'purify' them and then vitamins such as A, D, E etc. added to them. So I prefer not to use them though they are slightly cheaper than cold-pressed, filter oils. Which kind do you prefer to use?
I prefer using liquid cooking oil compared to solid cooking oil because of the low colesterol. When I was younger we used to use the solid form type of oil but it was not healthy so nowadays we buy the one in liquid form even if it is more expensive.

nangk08

I prefer using liquid cooking oil compared to solid cooking oil because of the low colesterol. When I was younger we used to use the solid form type of oil but it was not healthy so nowadays we buy the one in liquid form even if it is more expensive.
What is solid cooking oil? Never heard of that one. I use cold-pressed oil, which means the oil is extracted using traditional methods without applying any kind of heat. It is the purest form of cooking oil. Refined oil is heated at high temperatures and some kind of chemicals added to it to take off natural smells of oil seeds and that oil is harmful to health in the long run.

Mildredtabitha

What is solid cooking oil? Never heard of that one. I use cold-pressed oil, which means the oil is extracted using traditional methods without applying any kind of heat. It is the purest form of cooking oil. Refined oil is heated at high temperatures and some kind of chemicals added to it to take off natural smells of oil seeds and that oil is harmful to health in the long run.
What I mean by solid oil is that it is solid in nature. You put it on hot pan so it can melt before you fry the onions. It is a processed kind of cooking oil but it is in solid form and needs to melt before being used.

Alexandoy

We are using canola oil as the desire of my wife. I don't know where she got the idea but it was many years ago when she shifted to using canola oil and now I am continuing the tradition. For me, anything that is fried needs oil and even if they say that cooking oil can cause the increased cholesterol level but I don't think there is a conclusive proof. As long as the fried food is dried of oil before serving then I think it is good.

This thread has been viewed 491 times.